Thursday, May 24, 2012

Candy Shoppe Party


For Ella's 1st Birthday, I thought it would be fun to do a "Candy" themed party.  I had a lot of fun fusing my ideas with those that I found on the internet.  I always start with a couple of details and the rest of the party sort of takes shape from there.   In this case, there were so many elements that I had in mind, that all I really had to do was find a common thread to tie them all together.  I think it was sticking with the bright pink color to incorporate everything.  I found these great vinyl table cloths on clearance at Target for about $1.50 each.  I loved them, and they were perfect for the old fashioned candy shoppe that I had in mind.  I spent most of my time working on details for our sweets table.


For this, I spent quite some time making the decorations.  I used my Mom's die-cut machine to make the "Ella's Sweet Shoppe" sign.  Above that I hung candies that I made using foam balls and tulle with ribbon to tie the ends.  To line the path walking up to our house, and on the wall behind the table, I made big lollipops.  I used two plates, stapled them together and covered them in colorful tissue paper and tied the ends with curling ribbon.  I inserted a long dowel, and wala! they were lollipops!  The little white boxes were lined with tissue paper, and they were for the children to fill up with sweets.  I also included a jar of colorful toothbrushes that I found at the dollar store-to keep those baby teeth clean! I found cute cones at my craft store, and wanted to figure out a creative way to use them.  I decided that filling them with cotton candy would be perfect!  I found the top of a box, and cut holes in it to make spots for the cones to sit in.  I was so happy with how my sweets table came out! 


Cakes and cupcakes were easy to make for this party, and still looked adorable! Ella's smash cake was chocolate, and iced in pink (canned) frosting.  I used gel colors to make the dots on her cake, and placed the little swirl lollipops on top.  The cupcakes were also chocolate, and frosted in pink or white.  I used a variety of sprinkles and candies to top these.  I was also thrilled to find brightly colored cupcake liners at my grocery store.  They were perfect!  One thing I really wanted for her party, but did not intend to make was her party hat.  I searched for one to buy online, but was not thrilled with the cost of the hats that I liked.  I decided that I could make one myself.  I purchased a stack of plain hats, cute fabric, a boa, and iron on letters, and went to work.  I used my hot glue gun to adhere the fabric, letters and boa to the hat.   For the cost of about $15 I made my own hat, and had materials left over! (that I have since used again and again!)

This party theme was so much fun, I might even do it again sometime!! 

Happy Candy Shopping! 

-Lindsay



No comments:

Post a Comment