Thursday, April 26, 2012

Sunshine Party for "One"

First birthday parties are fun for me because I get to pick the theme.  Babies aren't really "into" characters yet, and don't really care what the cake looks like, or who you invite.  For Lily's first birthday, I chose a "sunshine" theme.  I love singing "You are my Sunshine" to her, like my parents and grandma sang to me... and I actually got the idea for our blog title while planning her 1st birthday party.

  Recognize this brand new "sunshine" baby... only 5 days old in this picture, born the same day as Lily, 1 year and 30 minutes later!  Carlyn, at her first party!!



I had so many ideas for this cake, and ended up doing this VERY simple cupcake/cake from Martha Stewart's website.  She made a Sunflower cupcake cake, and I just adjusted the decorations slightly, to make it a sun, instead of a sunflower:) 

The little circles above I made using the computer, and hung them across the ceiling, near the windows.  There was one "sun" for each month of her first year.  You can see below on the table, I attempted to keep the food in a "yellow/orangey" color theme.  Nothing too crazy, because cooking scares me way more than baking.  In the kitchen we had a sub tray.  It wasn't allowed on the yellow table, because it did not match :) 

On a side note, I looked EVERYWHERE for a yellow party dress.  I couldn't find one that I liked anywhere, until I stumbled across this little outfit at Target!  I love Target!
Happy Sunny-day! -Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment