Thursday, May 31, 2012

Farm Cake for my Nana

My Grandma grew up on a farm. She loves to tell stories about milking cows, and running around with her 3 brothers.  The ultimate tom-boy, so she claims!  This year, Grandma gets a fancy farm cake, complete with cows!  She loved it, I think Lily loved it more.  Mooooo!!!



Grandma loves carrot cake, so this cake is just a carrot cake box mix, spiced up with vanilla extract, orange juice, pecans and raisins.  The cake is covered in a "crusting" cream cheese frosting, colored green!

I colored white fondant using brown food coloring for the roof, and red food coloring for the barn.  I free-hand cut the "shingles" into different size squares and rectangles.  I used a cardboard cake round to decide on a good size for the barn, and then cut that free hand too.  At first I started buildg the barn on the cardboard, but soon realized it would be easier just to build it directly on the cake. 

The barn door is made from stripes of white fondant, with black gel dots.  I have small animal cookie cutters, I used these to cut out the cows, and added random brown fondant spots.  


Then the grass with tip #233 and darker green frosting. 
 I piped the fence using a star tip, and brown cream cheese frosting.
Brayden made the little final touches using a small flower fondant cutter.  We used some blue, yellow and pink and added a small dot to the center.  He loveds to help!!

Happy Birthday, Grandma!!

No comments:

Post a Comment