Monday, April 9, 2012

A Princes Birthday Party- 'Tangled' Style

I love to throw parties. I love the look on the faces of the people I love when they are enjoying the festivities. However, parties stress me out! Getting things the way I want them, while not spending a trillion dollars on decorations I'll never use again, is my goal. This year, Lily has been into Disney's version of Rapunzel...Tangled! We watch this movie so often that even my husband, the silent observer, has several parts and songs memorized. This is mostly for my entertainment, but I digress, more on the Tangled party. My first inspiration is always the cake. I took a few cake classes at Michael's art store, and now have the false impression that I can take on any cake I see in a picture on the Internet when I search "cute party cakes" or "creative idea's for cakes" This, however is not the case! I found a few pictures online, but nothing that I loved. So I took a few idea's and put them together to create my "masterpiece" This is a strawberry and chocolate cake, covered with traditional buttercream. The flowers were piped using Royal icing, and the "braid" is white fondant, painted with golden luster dust.
 
the table

bagel tower

The banner

hot dogs and braided crescent rolls

muffins, donuts, dipped oreo's
The party wall.  The banner.  The hanging things.  The pictures.  The table.  These are all essential elements to a good "theme" party.  When my kids were babies, I always said there would be no character parties, princess parties, nothing too "themey."  Well, that's what they want!  Duh!  So I try to do "themey" without being too "themey." I like to pick the character's they LOVE, but try not to buy the matching plates, napkins, banners, treat bags, pencils, party hats, table cloth...did I miss anything?  There is nothing wrong with doing that, it just gets expensive quickly, and I like to try to be more frugal, and crafty, or something like that...

Flynn Rider "climbing" the hair
Another important part of the movie is her hair, of course!  The party needed hair.  I saw a lot of pictures online of people drapping the hair around their house using yarn.  Sounds simple enough!  No, this was the longest project ever.  I bought yarn and flowers and yellow streamers and bows.  I laid the yarn out across my foyer, living room and into my dining room, and cut.  Then I had to repeat this step... like 100 times!  Once the "hair" was cut, I felt I had successfully created her hair, however, it was on my floor, not hanging in delicate tendrils across my home's interior.  I quickly realized that "Tangled" party would be an understatment if I didn't figure out how to move my "hair" without making a huge twisted pile of yarn.  Twist ties!!!!!  Every few feet, I knotted a twist tie.  This helped minimize tangling, and also help with the transfer.  Scott, the lucky assistant, got to help me hang the hair strategically across the foyer, into the living room and down the wall.  We added Flynn Rider, as a final touch.  Genious:)

paper lanterns
I felt that the party should have lanterns.  If you've seen the movie you'll know, that Rapunzel see's the lanterns from her tower every year on her birthday, but she doesn't know what they are.  In her adventures she discovers that they are floating lanterns set off every year, to remember the lost princess.  I needed lanters!  They were essential...off to google "paper lanterns" :)  Here's what I came up with! 12x12 inch scrapbook paper, folded, cut, and hung for all to enjoy!


Let's just eat some cake! Happy 2nd Birthday, Lily!

Happy Tangling- Erin

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

I love all of your cakes and party decorations! And I think this blog is a great way to share and organize all of the fun & creative projects you've done!!
Love,
Your littlest sister

Post a Comment