Sunday, April 15, 2012

Easter Rainbow Cupcakes



I spend a lot of time decorating the outside of cakes and cupcakes, but I never think to much about the interior.  It should be moist and delicious of course, but as long as I bake it completely, I don't put much more thought into it.  I don't make cake from scratch, and I have no cake loyalty....Betty, Dunkin, Dough Boy...whoever is on sale!  On one of my Pinteresting evenings over the weeks preceding Easter, I noticed everyone posting Easter crafts, and desserts (which I had done none of).  I also noticed a post for someone making a rainbow themed birthday party.  I am done throwing parties until next winter, so I can't steal the rainbow party theme, BUT that doesn't mean I can't make rainbow cupcakes...I will just use Easter colors, and they will be Easter cupcakes!!  Well, come to find out this idea was not original, as others had already created "Easter rainbow cupcakes."  Someday, I will come up with some creative treat all on my own, until then, here's some Easter cupcakes, Erin-style:)

This is Classic White, Pillsbury box cake mix, divided into 3 bowls.  I had my kids pick out 3 colors from a few options I gave them.  I only added about 3 drops of gel food coloring, so that my colors would be pastel.  Brayden choose green, Lily picked yellow and pink. 





When I "craft" I can't do it alone... if my children's eyes are open.  They will NOT leave me alone, so regardless of if I want their help or not, I'm getting it.  Brayden is the cleanest 4 year-old I know.  Lily is a typical, messy, loud, quick-moving 2 year-old, and can create a mess as fast as you blink your eyes.  I-never-learn... she had this yellow batter up and over the entire circumference of the glass bowl with 1 single rotation of the spoon.  And then puts her whole face to the table, to lick it up.  Mmmmmm cake!

our colors
I put each different color in a 1 gallon plastic Ziploc bag and cut and VERY small hole in the tip.  Cake batter comes out super fast (compared to icing) and if you are trying to layer the colors, you want it to come out s-l-o-w-l-y. 







Ohhhh quick, Lily is watching Lion King, we can put the batter in the cupcake pans without her "help."  Brayden did the green, mommy layered pink and yellow. Add a very small amount of each color.  Remember you're still only filling about 2/3rds of the cupcake tin, or you'll have overgrow when you bake them. 

Well, Lily is back, but Simba distracted her long enough for me to finish filling the pans.  She was so excited to see all the colors!



Here's the "after" baking picture.  I liked how they looked better, un-iced, however, my kids don't eat the cupcake- just the icing- so if I wanted to share these with them, they had to be iced.  
 I did not come up with anything creative at all in the icing part. I didn't even make it from scratch. I piped it with a tip and added Easter sprinkles!  And then immediatly ate 2:)
Happy cup-caking! -Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment