Friday, April 13, 2012

A party for a little Birdie

I love themes. I love to make a theme out of everything. Party gift? Themed! Bedroom decor? Themed! Birthday Party? You bet your rear it's themed! For my daughter Carlyn's 1st birthday I'd decided to create a bird themed birthday party for her. My inspiration was her bedroom, which is also bird themed. I'm not some kind of crazy bird fanatic or anything-it just happens that there is a lot of cute bird stuff-especially early in the spring, which is when Carlyn's birthday is.

Fun fact: Carlyn and Lily share a birthday...one year and a half hour apart. So, while Erin was busily working on hair for Lily's Tangled party, I was busily building nests for Carlyn's Birdie party.

Erin has much more patience than I do when it comes to details for a cake. Don't get me wrong, I love making cakes and cupcakes for my kids parties, but when it comes to decorating them, if it's not easy, I lose interest fast. I'm a fan of sprinkles and fake items to adorn the cake. We were hosting 2 parties for Carlyn this year because having 60 + people in our house at one time was just overwhelming. I wanted to make it simple. For cake, I decided to make 60 cupcakes, and 2 small "smash" cakes for Carlyn (one for each party). These were pretty simple and I was able to do all the decorating in the morning before her parties. I did however, craft a "nest" out of twigs to place under my cupcake stand. Here it is!

and her "smash" cake

One of my favorite details from the party was the cake pops nest I made. All the cred. goes to Bakerella for the "how to" on cake pops. They are adorable, fun and kids LOVE them! I made mine into little egg shapes, covered them in pink and white chocolate, and put cute spring colored sprinkles on them. I love how they turned out! I purchased planter holder from a craft store that had the shape of a nest, and placed foam blocks inside it. Then I layered brown moss on that. I stuck in the cake pops and viola! Cake pops in a nest!


I did a few other crafty things to prepare for the party. Months in advance I made tissue paper pom poms to use. They were hanging in my girls bedrooms ready for the taking. I made a "Happy Birthday" banner, as well as painted a few bird houses (with help from the kiddos!) for decoration. Here is a picture of my mantel with some of that work!

For party favors we did a gift bag filled with mini bird houses and paints, as well as a few kid friendly treats, and probably some candy-because I can't not include candy!

And finally, here is a picture of my sweet little birthday girl!


Happy Birthday to my sweet little Birdie! I hope she had as much fun at her party as I did creating it for her!

-Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment